The Air Ministry tank wagons were based on a Shell and BP design of 1938 which was a refinement of the RCH 1927 design with a total build of more than 3,000 wagons.
These tank wagons therefore utilised many RCH components including brake gear, buffers and axleboxes on a standard chassis of 17 feet 6 inch with a 10 feet wheelbase. The tanks were 7 feet 2 and 3/8 inch diameter saddle mounted and all designated Class A for carriage of petrol and aviation spirit.
During the 1950’s many class A tank wagons were converted to class B by the addition of steam heating coils inserted into one end of the wagon and bottom outlet. By the end of the decade most were of the later class B type
This model has a die-cast chassis and includes a fully sprung suspension system (not available on other RTR models). It has die-cast three hole disc wheels with correct shape on both sides (so providing commendably thin holes) and fitted to metal blackened tyres. The buffer heads and coupling hook are metal and sprung. Short and long platforms with ladders are specific to the model portrayed and the Class B versions have the heating coil end detail and bottom outlet pipe of the tank together with valve on the top.
All models are authentically decorated including full chassis descriptions.