Last one available - discontinued.
The LMS 2P class locomotive, designed by Sir Henry Fowler for light passenger work, had its origins in the Midland Railway’s 4-4-0 483 Class, designed by Samuel Johnson and modified by Richard Deeley. Introduced in 1928, post-Grouping, the 2P’s dimensions were modified from the 483 class and the boiler mountings reduced.
Between 1928 and 1932, 138 2P locomotives were produced at either Crewe or Derby Locomotive Works. The locomotive layout was a basic and well proven two inside frame cylinder design, characteristic of the Midland Railway’s design philosophy.
In addition to being employed by the LMS, three of the locomotives, numbers 44-46, were allocated from the new to the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway (S&DJR), however once the LMS assumed responsibility for motive power on that line in 1930, they were absorbed into the LMS fleet as numbers 633-635.
Where loads dictated, 2P’s were often run double-headed primarily as the LMS had a shortage of larger heavy duty or express locomotives to serve such services.
Typically painted in basic black livery by the LMS, other colour schemes did prevail. The S&DJR locomotives were painted Prussian Blue and in later BR days the locomotives were appropriately lined out for mixed traffic working in accordance with British Railways policy.
Their use on the steeply graded S&DJR between Bournemouth West and Bath Green Park was a particularly interesting development, given that their 6ft 6.5” diameter driving wheels were not considered ideal for lines of this type. Nevertheless, they put in a lot of useful work over this challenging route, frequently being found paired with Bulleid Pacifics or Standard classes, hauling express passenger services such as the Pines Express.
The first two members of the class, 591 and 639 were withdrawn in 1934 following an accident at Port Eglinton Junction near Cumberland Street Station, Glasgow on September 6th, but the remaining 136 lasted well into British Railways days, the last locomotives in the class being withdrawn between 1954 and 1962, though regrettably none were preserved.
Locomotive 40602 was built at the Derby Works under order Ord070, entering service during November 1928 as LMS 602. Its early operating history is obscure, but 602 was noted as being based at 22A Bristol Shed in July 1938. By 1948, when the locomotive was renumbered to 40602 as part of British Rail nationalisation, it was allocated to 12A Carlisle Kingmoor Shed, where it stayed until August 1954.
Over the next 7 years, until 40602’s withdrawal from service in October 1961, the locomotive moved around between 67A Corkerhill Shed, 68A Carlisle Shed and 67B Hurlford Shed. Following its withdrawal, it was to be another two years before 40602 was disposed of in August 1963 at Connels, Coatbridge.